Places to Visit in China

China, the most populous county in the world, is rich in culture, history, and some of the best landscapes you will ever see. With its vast geography, there are so many places to visit that it is an injustice to say there are only ten places to visit in China. If all the attractive tourist places were to be mentioned, we would be reading a book about this fantastic place.

China’s history provides scenery for many places to visit with family and at the same time have a lot to do.  Places like the fantastic food courts of Shanghai, the Forbidden City of Beijing, the tombs of Xi’an, and the Great Wall. Apart from the hustle and bustle of the cities, there are desserts and tropical beaches waiting to explore.

So, on your next trip to this grand country, here is a compiled list of places to visit in China.

  1. Beijing

Beijing is the capital of China with a population of over 21 million. It has over 700 years of history displayed everywhere you go. Beijing is one of many cites tourists love to go. It is straightforward to get to by air and with high-speed trains is transit to other favorite cities.

Beijing has many famous attractions to visit. For example, The Great Wall, The Forbidden City, The Summer Palace, and The Temple of Heaven to name a few. It is also the city that is home to the Tiananmen Square and the National Museum of China. You will see ancient architecture and the Chinese gardens.

Beijing has plenty of sites deemed as World Heritage Site by UNESCO. Especially sites like the emperors of the Ming and Qing dynasties. Also, you will see opulent ceramics, fountains, and paintings. With so many places to go, it is best to plan before going so that you will get the best sites from your trip.

  1. Shanghai

Shanghai is China’s biggest city with over 24 million people. It does not display many historical sites as does Beijing because of the constant development of skyscrapers. Shanghai is a city with major shopping malls, luxurious hotels, and prestigious arts.

In Shanghai, you can stroll through the Bund or the Yu Garden. Go downtown to the Zhujiajiao Water Town to see the ancient canal. The Shanghai Tower will offer the most fabulous view of Shanghai in the day or night. If you are ready for an adventure, take a ride on the fastest train, running at 270 mph. You can also spend some time in the French Concession.

Shanghai is so vibrant that it is compared to New York and Paris. It is China’s leading economic and business city. If you are ready to go to a modern city, Shanghai is that and more.

  1. Xi’an

Xi’an is one of four great capitals of old China and holds a lot of history. The most famous is the Terracotta Army. The Terracotta Army is made up of thousands of horsemen and soldiers buried with the first emperor, Qin Shi Huang. They were the protector of him in the afterlife.

Another famous attraction of Xi’an is the most extended city walls stretching a little over 13 kilometers or about 8.8 miles. The wall was used as a fortification in the 14th century. You will also see many mosques and Taoist temples that display the multiculturalism of the ancient capital. For example, one of the oldest Buddhist temples, the Big Wild Goose Pagoda or the Muslim Quarter.

Xi’an was the starting point of the Silk Road trade route to Europe. It was an economic and cultural exchange during the imperial times between the east and the west.

  1. Lhasa

Lhasa is the capital of Tibet and is sometimes referred to as the gateway to Holy Tibet. The name Lhasa is Tibetan for “place of the gods.”  It is one of the highest and elevated city in the world at 11,500 feet or 3,500 meters.

Lhasa has the Potala Palace which was once the home of the Dalai Lama before he was exiled. The Palace is divided into two, the White Palace (where the Dalia Lama lived) and the Red Palace (a spiritual center for the Buddhist Monks). The palace is now a state museum.

Outside the city of Lhasa are the famous Mt. Everest, Lake Namtso, and Mt. Kailash. Other places to go are the Barkhor Street and Sera Monastery.

  1. Guilin

If you like adventures, then Guilin is the place to come. It is known for its gingko-dotted parklands and winding historic streets. Guilin is filled with limestone scenery and sprawling rice terraces. The Li River provides one of the most beautiful sights on the planet.

Guilin main attractions are the Yangshuo and the Longji Terraced Fields. The Karst mountains in the backdrop will display a look from somewhere out of this world. Guilin is just an hour away from Hong Kong by air. The change in scenery will make it worth the wild.

  1. Hong Kong

Hong Kong was once a colony of the British and now displays a fusion of Chinese tradition and British culture. It is the world’s highest concentration of skyscrapers. Hong Kong is a commercial center with world-renowned shopping centers and many attractions.

Hong Kong famous attractions include the Victoria Peak, the markets of Kowloon, and many theme parks on Lantau Island. If you take the tram to Victoria Peak, you will have the most spectacular view of the city lights. Also, the dazzling skyline and skyscrapers can be seen.

While in Hong Kong, you can visit the local restaurants and enjoy the authenticated dim sum. Take the Starr Ferry to enjoy the Victoria Harbor. Your experience will be a once in a lifetime in a city that never seems to slow down.

  1. Chengdu

Chengdu Panda Research Base is where you will see the giant pandas in their natural habitat. Apart from the pandas, there are other well-known attractions to see. The Leshan Giant Buddha stone statue carved out of a cliff. This statue is 71-meters tall.

Chengdu is also famous for delicious food like the Kung Pao chicken and spicy hotpot. You can visit the Jinli Old Street to taste local snacks and see the architecture from the Qing Dynasty. You will also find ancient teahouses in the Kuanzhaixiangzi District.

  1. Hangzhou

Hangzhou is famous for its natural scenery. Especially, the West Lake that is aligned with ancient buildings and gardens designed for relaxation and spirituality. Also, you will see the cultural relics, the Broken Bridge, and the Qing Dynasty Mid-Lake Pavilion.

Hangzhou also has the longest ancient canal, The Grand Canal, which is over 2,000 years old. The Lingyin Temple is the wealthiest Buddhist temple that has many pagodas and grottoes. The Wuzhen Water Town creates the image of Chinese painting.

  1. Great Wall of China

The Great Wall of China is about 5,500 miles in length. Many dynasties built it over many years for protection from invasions. With a history of over 2,500 years, some parts of the wall are in ruin or disappeared. It stretches from Hushan, in the east, to Jiayuguan, in the north.

The Great Wall winds up and down and across grasslands, mountains, deserts, and plateaus. It will be a great hike if you plan to walk on the wall. But how many can say they stepped on the Great Wall of China. The hiking trail can take hours at a time. It is something definitely to be done by a family or a group of friends.

  1. Hainan

Hainan is a small Southern Island with many of the best beach fronts in China. It has a feeling more like Southeast Asia than China. With its tropical climate, you will find many beach resorts and luxury hotels. The lust jungles, coconut palms, and pine forest keep you in a relaxing mood.

On the southern tip of the island, the city of Sanya has beaches range from 22 km long. On hiking trails, you will pass over suspension bridges and waterfalls. This part of China gets many tourists during the spring and fall seasons but is as busy during the summer time.

So, if China is on the list for your next vacation, make sure you have your passport ready for traveling. China, like other Asia countries, does require a visa to visit. The Length of your stay will determine the type of visa you will need. It is best to get your documents in order before you leave the US.

Do I Need A Passport To Go To Puerto Rico From The U.S.?

Many countries require US citizens to use a passport to enter that country. It does not matter if the entry is by land, air or sea. For countries that have border agreement with the US, then a state-issued ID or driver’s license is accepted if you do not have a passport. In addition to having a passport, the passport must have some validity to it. For example, some countries require a valid passport with three months of validity while others want six months validity. Some require only one-month validity or for the passport to be valid when entering. Nevertheless, a passport is necessary.

Puerto Rico, like other U.S. territories, does not require U.S. citizens or green card holders to visit the island with a passport. Similarly, Puerto Ricans can come to the U.S. without a passport. However, a proper form of ID must be used as proof of identity to enter Puerto Rico, as well as for Puerto Ricans coming to the U.S. These IDs can be a driver’s license, state-issued ID, or green card.

Minors can use a birth certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad Certificate. Any non-resident of the United States must show a passport to enter Puerto Rico. Similarly, if any citizen of another country should come into the US, they must provide a passport. If a visa is necessary, then the visa must be presented to an immigration officer.

Going to Puerto Rico from other Ports

If you enter Puerto Rico form another country, you will surely need a passport. You will need a passport to enter a non-U.S. territory, so it is best to carry it with you to come in. Legal residents may use their country of origin passport since they do not have a U.S. passport as of yet. As for minors, if they have a U.S. passport that will not be a problem. If not, then the minor can use a birth certificate or other documents to prove his or her identity.

When leaving Puerto Rico, if your trip is back to main the land, then you can use any form of legal identification. If you will enter from a non-U.S. territory, then a passport is necessary. Going from Puerto Rico to another country, you must present your passport to enter the country. Any other form of IDs will not be accepted unless the country is a US territory.

Non-U.S. Nationals Visiting Puerto Rico

If you are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, then you must use a passport to enter and exit the Island. Likewise, if you plan to visit the United States from Puerto Rico or any other country, you need a passport to enter. You may require getting a visa in some cases, check with your embassy or consulate for verifications.

So, U.S. citizens and permanent residents do not need a passport to go to Puerto Rico if they are coming from the U.S. If coming from another port and entering Puerto Rico, then a passport is necessary to enter the island. Any residents of US territories can enter the United States or another US territory with any legal form of identification. If they choose to use a passport, it will be accepted. Otherwise, a state-issued ID or driver’s license will do.

Do I Need A Passport To Go To Canada?

There has always been confusion between going to Canada and re-entering back into the United States. Going to Canada by road does not technically require a U.S. citizen to have a passport but sure does if the entry is by air. So, if your next trip to Canada will be by road, there are alternative documents that can substitute for a passport. These documents must be issued by the government in order for them to be used. You will need only one to prove your identity. However, if you decide to go and only carry one form of ID, that can result in you being held up by Canadian authority. So, it is best to go with a passport due to the fact the when returning, you can use a passport.

Going to Canada by Road

Going by road has fewer restrictions as do by flying. By entering the country this way, Canadian Border Agents will accept similar travel documents. These documents are:

  1. NEXUS Card
  2. US Passport Card
  3. Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL)
  4. FAST Card
  5. Green Card

We know that minors don’t usually have the same identifications as an adult. So, minors are excluded from having a picture ID but can still own one if the parent gets it. A minor can use proof of citizenship which is a birth certificate instead of a passport. A U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certificate of U.S. Naturalization can be used as well. All must all be original documents. If a copy is made, get the copy notarized before submitting it.

Going to Canada by Air

If you are flying into Canada, you will need a passport to show immigration before entering. Using your passport will surely make your return back into the U.S. a lot easier as well. As of 2004, U.S. and Canada had an agreement to strengthen border security by implementing the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI). Due to this agreement, all U.S. citizens entering Canada does not need a passport but will do when returning home.

So, even if you have other forms of ID and you choose to use one to enter Canada, it is best to carry your passport so that on your way back you can use it. Carrying your passport will help you enter the US and prevent you from being stopped by Immigration. A US passport in the reference must be a valid passport and not one that expired. If your passport expired while in Canada, go to a US Embassy and obtain a temporary passport to re-enter the US. Once back, you can apply for a new passport.

Going to Canada with Minors

Canada border crossing with children has its restrictions. If one parent is crossing with a minor, a signed notarized document and from the absent parent must be presented stating permission is granted for the minor to travel outside the U.S. If the parents are divorced, documentation with proof must be shown as well. Without these documents, you might not be granted entry or delay the entry process. These rules also apply to legal guardians who are crossing with minors. so, it is best to get all the necessary information before traveling to Canada or any other international destination. You do not want to travel to a border and cannot enter because of some technicality or existing laws you did not know about.

Travelers with Criminal Convictions

Possessing a passport does not automatically qualify you to enter into Canada if you have a criminal record. People with criminal convictions may not be allowed to enter unless due to the discretion of the Border agent. Also, if stopped for questioning, provide as many documents (court documents) as possible to make the entry possible. The more proof you have show your conviction was taken care off, the more likely you will have the opportunity to enter the country.

So, if you plan to go to Canada by either land, sea, or air, it is best to take your passport even if you have an alternative document. Hence, having a passport will not stop you from entering the U.S. on your way back. If you don’t have a passport, you should apply for it as soon as possible. You can also use an expediting company if you will travel soon. This way, you will have a passport to prevent any setbacks.

Where To Get A Passport Photo Taken

Getting a passport requires a form, supporting documents, and the fee. One of the supporting documents is passport size photo. So, where to get a passport photo was taken that will match the required standard is very easy. There are plenty of locations you can visit to take a picture near you. But before you go, here are the requirements set by The Department of State for all passport applicants.

Passport Photo Requirements

  1. Photo size must be 2in. x 2in.
  2. In color
  3. Taken on glossy or matte paper
  4. Has a white background
  5. The photo must be less than six months old
  6. No hats or glasses worn

By having this information, you will know how you picture should be and what to expect when you visit a photographer.

Places Where to Get a Passport Photo Taken

There are plenty of places to get a passport photo done. Most are aware of the requirements and are professional about their work. Also, the cost to get your passport photo taken will vary. In some cases, it may be free. Nevertheless, you will need your picture to get a passport. So, to get your passport photo taken, you can go to pharmacies, retail stores, passport acceptance facilities, shipping stores, membership stores, professional photo studios, or expeditors.


Pharmacies like Walgreens, CVS, or Rite Aid will take your passport photo. These chain pharmacies are located in neighborhoods across cities. If you are not sure where to find one, go online and search for pharmacies near me or nearby. Since most of these pharmacies operate on a 24-hour schedule, call before going to make sure there is someone available to take your photo.

Retail Stores

There are large retail stores which operate 24 hours you can visit to have your passport photo taken. One, in particular, is Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart has an area where you can take your picture and get it right after. This makes it easy and quick to get your photo. Another major retail company to get your picture taken is Target. Target, like Wal-Mart, opens 24-hours and you can walk in and get your photo take. Again, you will get your photo immediately.

Passport Acceptance Facilities

At the start of the application process, you can visit a post office, county clerk’s office, courthouse, or a public library to submit your documents. At some of these facilities, you can take your passport photo at an additional cost. Not every location offers this service, so ask before you go and submit your application.

Shipping Stores

Two major shipping stores take passport photos shots. The two are UPS and FedEx. Unlike the 24-hours retail stores, these two shipping companies have regular business hours when they operate. So going to one may result in not getting your photo taken if you go after business hours. To locate a store nearby, visit the store website and go to the store locator. You may also inquire about the service and cost of passport photos.

Membership Stores

Some stores require a membership, and with it, you get some additional privileges. These stores are Costco and Sam’s Club. Like the retail stores, you can take your passport photo and get it immediately after. Another membership store that offers passport photos to its customers is AAA. AAA is not only about autos but also into the passport photo business. So, if you are a member of this organization, ask about this service and where to locate a facility nearby.

Professional Photo Studios

Professional photo studios do exist even though they are less in quantity if compared to the other passport photo providers. At a professional photographer, you will get your photo taken but may not get the photo right away. Also, the cost might be more than the other locations. If you live near one and it is more convenient to go, then you must get your photo taken well in advance of submitting your passport application.

Passport Expeditors

If you are in a rush to get a passport and cannot locate a place to take your photo right away, the expeditor will do so for a fee. Most individuals use an expeditor to get their picture taken since they are in a rush to get a passport and everything else get done at the same time. Regardless of your choice, the most important thing is to get the photo so that you can get your passport.

Where to get a passport taken should not be something for you to worry about now. There are many sites you can visit to get your photo take. It is best to visit a place where the cost would not be high since you are already paying for your passport. Always check online or by phone at the location you plan to visit before going so that it offers the service you need. All these facilities are aware of the requirements set forth for a passport photo.

Six-Month Passport Validity Rule

Your passport carries great importance when it comes to travel abroad. For that and other reasons, some countries require a passport to have a minimum validity time before crossing their border. It does not matter whether your choice to enter is by air, land, or sea. The law that these countries implement is known as Six-Month Passport Validity Rule. Hence, you must abide by it or else you will be sent back to your previous destination.

What does Six-Month Passport Validity Rule Mean?

The Six-Month Passport Validity Rule suggests any passport used to enter a country, which practice this rule, must have a minimum of six months validity before it expires to enter the country. There are way more countries that impose this rule than don’t. So, during your vacation planning, make sure your passport has enough validity and if the country you will visit abide by this rule.

Three-Month Passport Validity Rule and the Six-Month Passport Validity Rule

Apart from the Six-Month Passport Validity Rule, some countries have the Three-Month Passport Validity Rule. This rule is similar to the Six-Month Rule but instead uses three months validity so that a passport holder can enter. In any case, it is always best to travel with a passport that exceeds Six-Month validity. It will give a chance to prepare for any unforeseen circumstances that may arise during your vacation.

Countries that Implement the Six Month Passport Validity Rule

Many countries implement the Six-Month Passport Validity Rule. However, most European countries do not, but instead use the Three-Month Validity Rule. The European nations signed a treaty known as the Schengen Treaty. All the countries in Europe implement the Three-Month Rule except for the UK and Ireland which follows the Six-Month Passport Rule. Apart from passport validity, some countries require a passport to have on one or two blank pages. So again, be aware of these countries immigration rules before you visit.

North America and the Caribbean

Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, Antigua and Barbuda, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Haiti, Martinique, St. Barthelemy, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, and Trinidad & Tobago

South America

Argentina, Bolivia, Ecuador, Guyana, Paraguay, Suriname, and Venezuela


Algeria, Angola, Botswana, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Cote d’Ivoire, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Kenya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritania, Mozambique, Namibia, Rwanda, São Tomé and Príncipe, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia

South Pacific

French Polynesia, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Tonga, Tuvalu, and Vanuatu

Non-Schengen Europe, Asia, and the Middle East

Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brunei, Bulgaria, Cambodia, China, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, New Caledonia, North Korea, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan, Thailand, East Timor, Turkmenistan, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Vietnam, West Bank/Gaza Strip and Yemen.

Countries that Require 3-Months Validity

Albania, Belarus, Croatia, Kazakhstan, Panama

Schengen Treaty Countries

Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland

Countries that Require a Month Validity

Hong Kong, Macau, and Zealand

How Long Does It Takes To Get A Passport?

Getting a passport for the first time can be an exciting time in your life. Just knowing you have something with a picture of yourself and a document you can use to travel the world. But thinking about getting one is just the first step of making it a reality. To get a passport, everyone must follow a specific process. So, how long does it takes to get a passport will be determined by the processing option you choose.

Gather the Documents

The first thing to do if you plan to get a passport is gathering your documents. If you had a passport before, you would be familiar with the documents you must provide. For all the first-timers, get the application form, online or at an acceptance facility, read the instructions before you complete it. It will give you a list of documents you must submit to start the process. Once you have all the necessary papers, now is the time to provide them.

Submitting your Passport Application for Routine or Expedited Processing

Now that you have your passport application and fee, you can visit a post office, county clerk’s office, courthouse, or a library to submit it. At any of these facilities, the process time will vary because of the two options available. If you are not in a rush to get your new passport, routine processing would be your choice. With this form of processing, it takes 4 to 8 weeks before you get your new travel document.

The second choice available to applicants is for those who cannot wait four weeks. Expedited processing is faster than routine but requires proof of travel and has an additional fee attached to it. With this processing choice, a passport application is processed in 2 to 3 weeks. So, with evidence of a trip coming soon, you can have a new passport to travel abroad.

A Regional Passport Agency or Private Expeditor

For other applicants who urgently need a passport, there are two places to go to and get a passport application process very quickly. The two sites are a regional passport agency and a private expeditor. Both offer emergency passports if you provide proof of urgency, specified documents, and pay their service fee. Their process takes from a day and up to two weeks.

Even though they offer the same services, they accept a passport application differently. For example, an expeditor will receive your documents by mail if you cannot go to their office. You will get a new passport as long as you provide all the materials they request. A regional passport agency requires you to submit your application in person. Not having an agency in every state can sometimes become a problem to get to one.

So, how long does it takes to get a passport will depend on where you submit your passport application and which processing option you select. Keep in mind the sooner you need your document, the more you will pay to get.

Certificate of Live Birth Sufficient for a Passport

Certificate of Live Birth Sufficient for a Passport

The Certificate of Live Birth is not sufficient for a passport. This document is the first unofficial draft that you were born. It is when information is collected from both parents, and the hospital then sent to the Office of Vital Statistics or the State Register to create the official Birth Certificate.

Certificate Of Live Birth or Hospital Record of Birth

Right after birth, a hospital staff gets the names of the mother and father. As well as the names of the baby, the doctor, the hospital, the baby sex, his or her race, the date of birth and the staff name who is completing the record.

The information must be verified of errors cause my misspelling or any information that is not accurate. Afterall, this Certificate of Live Birth will be sent to the Office of Vital Statistics. No one wants to have a Birth Certificate with the wrong information. So, it is essential that all the information gathered is correct before going out.

Birth Certificate or Long Form

A birth certificate is a vital record that documents the birth of a child. A certified birth certificate has a registrar’s raised, embossed, impressed seal, the registrar’s signature, and the date the document was filed. Some hospitals may issue a souvenir copy with the child footprints. It does not make the copy a legit one because it does not provide legal proof of the child age.

Certificate of Live Birth vs. Birth Certificate

The Certificate of Live Birth is not a legitimate document for many reasons. First, the information can be written on any paper without any formal identification. Data can be added or removed because of misspelled names or other information. That could be many inaccuracies while the data is gathered. Once all the proper information is collected and verified, only then will the Certificate of Live Birth be sent to the appropriate department.

A Birth Certificate is an official document issued by the Office of Vital Statistics or the State Register. It has the required signatures and proof to show it is a legitimate document. A Birth Certificate is one of a few records that can be used as proof of identity to get a passport. A Certificate of Live Birth cannot be used as proof of identity; therefore you cannot use it to get a passport.

So, if you do have a copy of your Certificate of Live Birth, you can keep it for memory sake but to use it for any other reasons it will not work. It is best to get a copy of your Birth Certificate and keep it in a safe place so you will have it when you need it.

Tropical Places to Visit Without a Passport

Tropical Places to Visit without a Passport

There are plenty of tropical places you can visit without the need to take your passport. Most of these places are U.S. territories, except for some Caribbean countries; where you can use your driver’s license for identification purposes.

Puerto Rico

Puerto Rico is just two hours from Miami or a little over three and a half hours from New York. Geographically, it is mountainous interiorly and beautiful beaches on the coast. The Island has influences from Africa, Spain, and Latin America. Puerto Rico has a lot to offer, and it will make you want to come back once you leave.


Located in the Pacific, the Hawaii islands are another U.S. Territory. Hawaii has pristine beaches that will make you forget all about work. If you love to snorkel, you will enjoy the crystal clear and warm water. For sightseeing, you can also visit some of the active and dormant volcanos. If you are one who loves hiking, Hawaii has beautiful flora and fauna.

U.S. Virgin Islands

The U.S. Virgin Islands include St. Croix, St. Thomas, and St. John. These islands have a rich history of their indigenous Indians, European settlers, and African slaves. You will also enjoy sandy beaches, the warm water, and diving.

The Caribbean

There are many Caribbean countries to visit without a passport. But to do so, you must travel by sea and not air. That means taking a cruise will get there and back by just using your id card. Countries like Bermuda, Jamaica, the Bahamas, and others are ready for you to visit. They provide sandy beaches and kind people anywhere you go. You will enjoy the water and scuba diving if you do.

American Samoa

Located in the South Pacific, the six Polynesian islands are another tropical island destination. If you are looking for peace, here is the place you want to be. Leave everything behind and relax on the beach or adventure into the jungle.

Northern Marina Islands

The Micronesian islands are other U.S. territories in the Pacific. There you can relax on the beaches enjoying the music, food or scuba dive near the coral reefs. You can also adventure out to see World War 2 shipwrecks off the coast. Once you get to enjoy the island life, coming home will be the last thing on your mind.

How Do I Expedite a U.S. Passport?

How Do I Expedite a U.S. Passport?

Expediting a passport is one way to get it in time for your trip. There are two ways to expedite a passport. The first way is by going to a post office, county clerk’s office, or a public library. Not all of these locations will offer to expedite your U.S. passport except the post office. The next way is to hire a private expeditor or go to a regional passport agency for same day processing.

Post Office Expedited Service

The post office offers two forms of processing to get a passport, routine and expedited. To expedite an application will get you a passport in 2 to 3 weeks. To apply for this process, submit all the documents related to a new or renewal of a passport and pay the fee. The post office charges an additional $60.00 for expedited service.

Private Expeditor Service

A private expeditor can expedite a passport application in two weeks or less. Like the post office, all the required documents are necessary when applying. Also, proof of travel must be provided with your application.

Unlike the post office, you do not need to visit an expeditor’s office. All the information can be delivered via mail. However, if you choose to get a passport the same day, the cost will be more than the standard processing fee. You will have the option to select from the different processing time based on how soon you will need your passport.

Regional Passport Agency Service

A regional passport agency can expedite your passport application. However, you must go to an agency in person to submit your application. Also, you must have an appointment before showing up. To get an interview, call the National Passport Center hotline. This service is available 24 hours and seven days a week.

Unfortunately, not every State has an agency, so you may need to travel to another State if you choose this option. When you go to an office, you must present all your documents and fees for processing. You must also provide proof of travel for expedited processing.


You have three options to expedite a passport application. These options are the post office, private expeditor, and a regional passport agency. The post office will only offer a 2 to 3-week processing choice while a private expeditor and a regional passport agency can process it the same day. The cost for processing varies because of the quickness on processing. Regardless of your choice, you will have your new passport in hand and ready for your next vacation.