Child Passport Instructions

Replacing your child passport can be a hassle. Now, getting it expedited can become a nightmare. So, let National Passport Service do the talking and work for you. Before you begin the process, know what you need to do and the documents you must provide. NPS has put together an instructional page so you can start by completing the necessary forms and gather the appropriate documents. Follow the steps below and if you have any questions, contact a rep who will gladly answer your questions.

Here are some things you need to know if you are under 16 or trying to obtain a passport for your child!

  • You will need both parents to appear with the applicant. You will see an acceptance agent once you have compiled all the documents listed below.
  • If one parent can not appear the parent not present will have to fill out a consent form DS-3053. This consent form will have to be notarized along with a front and back copy of their driver’s license.
  • Applicant must ALWAYS be present; parents cannot go on the minor’s behalf.
  • MINORS ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR PASSPORT RENEWALS! THEY MUST APPLY FOR A NEW MINOR PASSPORT. If they are now over the age of 16 and had a previous minor passport, they MUST apply in person for a NEW ADULT PASSPORT.
  • It does not matter how old your child is, from 1 day to 16 years old. ALL US CITIZENS NEED A PASSPORT TO LEAVE AND ENTER THE COUNTRY.
  • If you are trying to obtain a passport for a newborn and they have yet to receive there SSN card, you will need to bring the documents that show you applied for one and when filling out forms put 000-00-0000

Required Documents for Child Passport

The DS-11 application should not be signed until all parties are in front of the acceptance agent. Both parents must sign the DS-11 form, not the minor.

Proof of citizenship is required. The applicant’s original birth certificate certified birth certificate copy or previous US Passport.

Both parents must provide photocopies of their VALID driver’s license

Once you have gathered all of these documents, you must choose what method you are using to process the application.