DS-10 Birth Affidavit Passport Form

Applying for a passport requires an application and supporting documents. The supporting documents will help provide personal information like proof of citizenship. The State Department has a list of materials to use as proof of citizenship. These documents are a birth certificate, naturalization certificate or an expired passport. If you were born in the US or any US territories, you are a US citizen and will have a birth certificate. If you cannot provide a copy of your birth certificate for any reason when applying for a passport, you must use From DS-10 Birth Affidavit.

Who will use Form DS-10 Birth Affidavit?

Any US citizen who is applying for a passport and cannot provide a birth certificate or an expired passport must use DS-10 to show proof of citizenship. The applicant can be an adult or a minor and born in the US or its territories. A naturalized citizen will not have a US birth certificate; therefore, the person will use the naturalized certification as proof of citizenship.

What information is required on Form DS-10 Birth Affidavit?

First and foremost, this form is completed by someone other than the person applying for a passport. The person completing the form must know the individual well enough to provide personal information. The fields must be completed with detailed information when appropriate. Any falsification of information can prevent the applicant from getting a passport. Once all the areas are done, do not sign the form. The signing must be done in front of a passport agent, acceptance agent, or a notary public.

What are additional documents necessary with the DS-10 Birth Affidavit?

A letter of no record from the Office of Vital Statistics must accompany the DS-10. Also, early public records which can be post-natal medical records, school records, state or federal census records, a certificate of adoption, or baptismal records. The records must include the applicant name, date of birth, and place of birth. Complete and submit Form DS-11 Application for a US Passport.

How long will processing take with Form DS-10 Birth Affidavit?

Submitting all the required documents to get a passport is the first step. The next would be the type of processing to get the passport. At the post office, you can choose between routine and expedited. Routine will get you one in 4 to 6 weeks and expedited in 2 to 3 weeks. However, if you want one the same day, hire a private expeditor or visit a regional passport agency. The cost for each service differ, ask before you commit to any.