DS-11 Application for a U.S. Passport

Who uses a DS-11 Form: The DS-11 Application for a U.S. Passport is used by a U.S. citizen when applying for a passport. This form, DS-11, is used to get a new passport for the first time, passport renewal, or to replace a lost, stolen or damaged passport. The form is used by a minor or an adult to get a passport. 

How to complete a DS-11 Form  

The State Department designed each form to include instructions on how to input all the required information of the applicant. So, once you get an application, it will have a set of instructions. Before you start completing the form, read the instructions first to gather all the necessary information you need to know. You will see a checklist of the supporting documents you must submit along with the form.

The instructional page will also provide information for a minor applying to get a passport. If you are reapplying for a new passport, read this instructional page as well. Make sure you gather the appropriate documents for proof of U.S. citizenship, identity, and fees to pay.

Ways to Complete DS-11 Form

There are two ways to fill this form, online or handwritten. If you go to this link, https://pptform.state.gov/, you can fill out the form and print it. Do not sign until you submit it to the acceptance agency.

To get a PDF version if you choose to write your information on the form, click here: https://eforms.state.gov/Forms/ds11.PDF. After downloading, print it and start to fill in your information by using a black ink pen. Do not sign until you submit it to the acceptance agency.

Places to submit your completed DS-11 Form

You can give your application to any acceptance agency that process passport applications. The most notable place is the post office. Other locations can be the county clerk’s office, courthouse, or the public library. You can also go to a regional passport agency or hire an expeditor if you need an emergency passport.

DS-11 Processing Time

At the post office, the time it takes to process the application will vary. Routine or standard processing takes 4 to 8 weeks. The time is an estimate. Therefore, it takes eight weeks or less but not less than four weeks. If you need a passport sooner, then use expedited services, also at the post office, which will take 2 to 3 weeks.

To get a passport the same day, hire a private expeditor or go to a regional passport agency. A regional passport agency requires an appointment. You must call the National Passport Information Center to arrange an interview at an agency. A private expeditor will accept your application and supporting documents by mail. However, you will be responsible for the shipping and delivery cost.

When will you get a new passport

You will get a new passport in the mail once all your documents submitted are verified and a new passport processed. The time you get it will be based on the type of processing you selected. At a regional passport agency or a private expeditor, you will get a new passport the same day.