DS-64 Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport

Losing a passport can leave you with a horrible feeling; mainly, if it was preventable by being more careful with the document. But don’t worry; you can get a new passport by re-applying for another. You should not report a passport lost or stolen if it has expired. Once you do report it lost or stolen and you recover the document, it is invalid and cannot be used.

Completing Form DS-64

You can complete DS-64 two ways. The first is downloading it from the internet and complete it offline. Once you fill in all the necessary information, you can print it then sign and date the form. The next way would be to obtain a hard copy and complete it with a black ink pen. Again, once you complete the form, you must sign and date it.

Like all the other forms provided by The State Department, Form DS-64 comes with an instructional guideline on how to answer the questions. Please follow these directives to avoid any delays during the process. There is only one page that needs to be filled out. Complete all the questions and answer as accurate and in detail about the lost or stolen document. As per a minor passport, both parents and legal guardians must sign the form.

How Long to Replace Lost or Stolen Passport?

Once you verify all the information you have provided is accurate, you can submit your documents by mail. The mailing will take some time between 4 to 6 weeks before you get your passport. You also have the option to use expedited processing if you plan to travel sooner than four weeks. In this case, you can have it in 2 to 3 weeks. There is an additional fee for this service.

If you have an emergency and you must leave in a day or two, hire a private expeditor or visit a regional passport agency. Either service can get you a passport in a day. For rush service like this, you must pay the expeditor fee and all the other fees that come with the process.