Expedited Passport after Oat Ceremony

Once you have become an official Naturalized U.S. citizen, you have many benefits that come with it. For one, you can get a passport now and travel to many countries with a few restrictions. So, to get a U.S. passport, you must start the preparation of gathering the form and supporting documents.

But before you do, know which passport you can apply for and get. There are two types of passports offer to U.S. citizens, a book or a card. A passport book for minors, under 16 years, is valid for five years and ten years for adults, 16 and older. A passport has no limitations while a passport card can be used to re-enter the U.S. by land or sea from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, or the Caribbean.

Preparing to Apply

To start the application process, get the DS-11 Application for a U.S. Passport and complete it. You can complete the form online and print it. Do not sign the DS-11 until you are in front of an acceptant agent submitting it. You can also get a form from any acceptance facility and complete it manually. Use a black ink pen to fill it in. Again, do not sign the DS-11 until you are in front of an acceptant agent.

Now that you are a U.S. citizen, your naturalization certificate is proof of citizenship. So, make a copy for yourself since you must submit the original along with your form. You must also send two passport size photos. It is best to go to a retail store like Walgreens or CVS to take your photo. Any of these places they will know what to do in regards to the picture made.

The cost of the passport will vary due to the type of processing. The cheaper of all is routine processing while the most expensive is same day service. So, you will determine how much to pay for your new document.

Applying for a U.S. Passport

Now that you have all the required documents to get a passport, locate an acceptance facility near you. Depending on where you like, you may find one or may need to go to the nearby town or county. Once you have located one, contact it to get an appointment to submit the papers and fee. The most notable place to present a passport application is the post office. It is time to complete the form and put together the supporting documents and fee. Keep in mind not to sign the DS-11 until you are in front of the agent.

U.S. Postal Services: Routine or Expedited Processing

The post office offers two options to process the application. The first is the standard or routine process. With this option, you will provide your completed and unsigned form, DS-11, your proof of citizenship, passport photos, and fee to the agent. Once the agent confirms the documents and price, they will be packaged and forward to a processing center. The processing time will take about 4 to 8 weeks until you get your passport in the mail.

The second option is expedited processing. You will submit your form, DS-11, proof of citizenship, passport photos, proof of travel, passport fee, and an extra $60.00 that goes with the service. The evidence of travel can be a flight ticket or itinerary. The process will take a shorter time, and you will get your passport in 2 to 3 weeks in the mail.

The cost of an adult’s passport is different than the cost of a minor’s passport. A minor’s passport is less and due to a shorter validity time. Also, you cannot renew a minor’s passport. Once the child is younger than 15 years old, re-apply for a new passport that will be valid for five years. If the child is near his or her 16th birthday and has a passport that will expire soon, re-apply for an adult passport next time.

Regional Passport Agency

If you plan to travel in less than two weeks, you can get a passport the same day you submit your application. Right after completing your oath ceremony, you can call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877- 487-2778 and get an appointment at the nearest regional agency. You must submit your form, supporting documents, proof of travel, and fees in person at the regional agency. Once the verification process is completed, and without any delays, you will get a new passport the same day or the next day.

Private Expediting Company

If there is not a regional agency nearby, you can hire a private expediting company like National Passport Service to expedite your application. You must submit the same documents including an authorized letter stating you give the expeditor the authority to send and receive the documents on your behalf.

An expeditor offers different processing services. You can get a passport the same day or up to two weeks if your trip is coming up. The price of a passport is determined by the service to choose. The service will also determine how soon you get the passport. So, get your passport in time for you to travel.