After changing your name legally, you should create a checklist of all the places and people you must inform. A name change is a big deal, and it should be taken that way. The first thing to do is to gather all the documents that will provide proof of your name change. These documents must be original or notarized copies if necessary. Put them all together so, on the day of your quest; you will find it all to start the name change process.

Where to Start with a Name Change?

There are many places you must notify of a name change. Start on your list with the most important to the least. Keep in mind that all the places on the list must be informed. Starting with the most important will help when you go to the least because some places will check with some of the most important ones for verification.

So, start with:

  • Government Agencies
    • Social Security Administration
    • Department of Motor Vehicles
    • Voter Registration
    • State Department (for your passport)
  • Work & Employer
    • Human Resources
    • Unions & Professional Organizations
    • Personal Professional Website
  • Banks
    • Checking Accounts
    • Savings & Money Market Accounts
    • Credit Cards
    • Assets such as property titles, deeds, trust
    • Mortgage & Loans Companies
    • Investments Accounts like IRAs & 401ks
  • Home
    • Homeowners or renters insurance
    • Landlord
    • Homeowners association or management agency
    • Utilities like electric, gas, water, telephone, internet, and cable
  • Medical
    • Doctors, dentist, therapists, and counselors
  • Other Legal Documents
    • Health proxy
    • Will
  • Social Media
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    • LinkedIn

Once you complete the list, you can wait for the changes to happen. When you visit the DMV, you can get a new driver’s license or ID you can use for identity verification. It will help when making changes to the other documents.

How to do a Name Change on a Passport

To do a name change for a passport, submit a name change form, DS-5504, to the State Department. Also, you must provide your current passport (if you have one), a passport size photo, proof of name change, and fee.

You can apply by routine processing which takes 4-6 weeks. Expedited processing is also available and will take 2-3 weeks for processing. A private expeditor or a regional agency can get you a passport in 24 hours if you have an emergency. Proof of travel is necessary for the 24-hour service.