New Passport Instructions (16 & older)
Getting a passport in a rush is not an easy task especially if you are not sure which documents to submit. So, National Passport Service will assist you in providing the steps you must take to gather these documents. By having all the required papers, you will avoid any delays or slow down of gettting a new passport. So, below are some steps toward getting your new document.
Step 1: Complete DS-11 application
- The Form must be typewritten
- Must have two copies printed of pages 5 & 6
- DO NOT SIGN DS-11 Application until you are in front of an acceptance agent
How to print DS-11 application:
Once at the payment and fees page, please select:
- Passport book
- Passport card
- or both if you are applying for a passport and card
Choose then expedited at the agency and standard delivery
HIT NEXT on the keyboard.
Once you see the CREATE FORM BUTTON, you will click the terms and agreements and select CREATE FORM. Your DS-11 application will download on your computer screen in PDF FORM. Please print two copies of pages 5 and 6 and DO NOT SIGN!
*We do offer complimentary document preparation to help type your application and compile all documents. If this is something you are interested in, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for help!
Step 2: Compile ALL documents
- Letter of Authorization
- You will need two copies of this document. Fill out in BLACK INK ONLY
- Proof of Citizenship – your original/certified copy of birth certificate or original naturalization certificate
- Proof of Identity – you must supply a front and back copy of your valid driver’s license
- Proof of Travel – Itinerary/hotel reservation/car rental
- If you plan to go to the post office BEFORE 14 days, you will need to use our template
- Passport Photos – 2×2 photos done at either CVS, Walgreens, or an acceptance agent
- No glasses
- No smiling
- No white shirt
Step 3: Government Fees
- Please note that the Government fees are an additional charge when expediting. You must supply a personal check/ money order made out to The US Department of State for $170.00 ( passport book fee) and an acceptance agent fee of $35.00
- In the memo line, please put applicants date of birth along with the applicant’s full name
Step 4: Adjudication
- Once you have compiled all the documents above, you will visit your nearest acceptance facility. The acceptance agent will witness you sign your DS-11 application and seal all documents in an adjudicated envelope and hand the envelope back to you. From there, you will take your adjudicated package along with the additional copies of your DS-11 Application, Letter of Authorization & Proof of travel and put everything together in one FedEx/UPS envelope and overnight to the address below:
Template (Only use this letter template if you made an appointment at the post office 14 days before you travel)
123 Business Address Ave, Suite # 123
City, State, Zip Code
Phone (321) 555-1234
Fax (123) 555-5678
The U.S. Department of State or Whom It May Concern:
We are currently making arrangements for the applicant’s name to travel to the name of the destination city, country to state the nature of the business to be conducted. The tentative dates for this trip are enter a date within the next two weeks in which you will leave the U.S. and an expected return date. We much appreciate your help in getting applicant’s name passport expedited as quickly as possible and in time for this planned trip.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me, letter writer’s name and title at the direct business telephone number, email address, and personal telephone number.
Signed your name