What are the requirements for a name change and do I need one for my passport book or card ?

Are you not sure if you need a name change for your current passport book or card? A name change can be very simple. Here is some information that will answer your question.

When is a name change required?

  • Newly married
  • Newly divorced
  • Going back to maiden name
  • Other life circumstances may also warrant a name change
  • Printing errors occur on the passport
  • Court order

If you meet any of these requirements then here are the documents that you will need listed blow.

  • DS-5504 Application Form for Passport Name Change
  • Current Valid Passport:  If you have an existing passport, you will need to submit it along with the other documents required for a name change.
  • Passport Photo: The U.S. State Department requires anyone applying for a replacement passport to provide a “2X2” photo, in color, that was taken no more than six months ago.
  • Proof of Name ChangeEvidence of Passport Name Change such as marriage certificate, divorce certificate, or another court document will suffice as proof of legal name change.
  • Passport Fee: To process your application for a name change.
    • Note: there is no fee for a name change if you obtained your passport within the last 12 months. If you are requesting expedited service, you will have to pay the expedited service fee.

If you do NOT plan to use our expediting service the application takes approximately four to six weeks to process. What documents are required? If you want to expedite your name change then please head back to our home page so we can help assist you. Once you complete an order form you will received an instructional check list and one of our passport specialists will contact you and help walk you through the rest of the process.